Thursday, August 24, 2017

Too Busy for People???

This morning as I left my apartment for my morning walk I noticed something interesting.  A man drove by in a SUV with a little kid in the vehicle beside him.  Another vehicle passed along side him on the other side of the road, and both vehicles slowed down.  The woman in the other vehicle rolled down her window and handed the man in the SUV a piece of paper.  And they both drove on.  It all happened so fast it didn't look like either vehicle had even come to a complete stop.  The two didn't even speak to each other - no smiles either.  Just a transaction, an errand to be accomplished, and back off to their own lives, to go their separate ways.

I couldn't help but wonder what story was behind this interaction.  Was the woman the man's x-wife giving him a paper their child needed for school?  Could she be the mother of his child but not the love of his life?  Or maybe their happily married and were just in a hurry that morning.  But if that was the case, then why not even a smile?  And why not even a word?  There's no way of knowing, but I couldn't help but wonder.

As I pondered this, I couldn't help but wonder how many of us do the same thing in our interaction with one another.  We say, "Hello, how are you?" and get the almost programmed, automatic response, "I'm fine".  We move on to our duties never knowing what is really going on inside the heart of another soul.  So focused on our goals in life, how often do we see others only in terms of how they fit in with our needs and our agendas?  I know I struggle with this.  How often do we take the time to really listen?  We talk to one another but do we really hear what the other person is saying?  Do we read beyond the words and look deep into the heart of the other, ask questions, and seek to understand what a loved one is going through?  Have we made relationships a priority in our lives or are we too caught up in the fast pace of society and in accomplishing the next thing on our to-do list?

As I write this I can't help but think of my own life, and how I interact with those I'm the closest to.  How often when my mom calls me at a really inconvenient time, (with a 3 hour time difference it's hard to connect at times), do I think "It's just my mom I can call her some other time"?  Or do I take time to communicate I love her and will call her as soon as I can?  Am I too afraid to be vulnerable by saying the words, "I appreciate you", "I miss you", and "I'm sorry" to someone I love?  When I go to church do I put on my "I'm-happy-everything-is-ok-face?  Or am I real with people?  Am I sharing the burdens on my heart and asking for prayer?  Or am I too proud?  When one of the ladies I'm studying the Bible with needs more time to talk, and tears run down her cheeks, do I put down my Bible, and take my eye off the clock and be all there for her?  Or am I too hurried thinking about my next appointment?  Do I weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice, or am I too wrapped up in my own feelings and emotions?

What about you?  Are you rushing by someone who needs your love, care, and attention?

As another beautiful day starts, I'm reminded that the only "things" from this earth that will last through eternity, (aside from a godly character), are the relationships that we have made with one another.  Paul says that we shall be known "even as also I am known."  (1 Corinthians 13:12).

The heart of God yearns to be close to each of us - to be with us throughout all eternity.  He will joy over us with singing.  He says, "They shall be mine....in that day when I make up my jewels."  (Malachi 3:17).  Are we preparing for that day?  Are we taking time to grow in our relationship with Jesus?  Do we treat others with the love that Christ has shown us?  Will you take time to show love to others today?

"Dear Heavenly Father, Please teach me to love like Jesus!  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment