Sunday, October 27, 2013

Compromise and Guarding Hearts


The message was powerful - Compromise.  "Could it be that we are only getting half of the blessings that God wants to bestow upon us because we are compromising?"  the speaker asked.  "Lord show me where I'm compromising", I prayed.  I kind of already knew what it was, but it's so small.  "This can't really count", I rationalized.  But I knew better!

As girls, it's normal, it's fun "girl talk", what's wrong with match making anyways?  It's all in fun!  We could be wrong we could be right there's nothing really at risk.  After all, I'm single, my girl friends are single, what's the big deal?  It's natural for me to be interested in someone, I mean this is college, not high school, I'm not even a teenager, this is the time.  And what's more, I'm not doing anything wrong!  I'm not having sex -I'd never even think of that! - I wouldn't kiss, I'm not even acting flirtatious, it's just....my thoughts!  But isn't that where it all starts?  Isn't that the root?  I know for me it's too easy to let thoughts slip, I'm castle building, dreaming, wishing, imagining....

What does the Bible say?  "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."  Matthew 5:28  Of course this can apply to women as well as it can to men.  I can't help but think of the many other verses in the Bible about our hearts.  Jesus said:  "For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."  Luke 6:45.  What do my words reflect?  If Christ is first in my heart won't that be who I want to talk about the most?  And when I am thinking about guys, there's a warning lest I think my attractions are the more "mature".  "The heat is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"  Jeremiah 17:9.  And my favorite out of them all:  "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."  Proverbs 4:23.

Needless to say I could't fight the conviction.

As I silently prayed for strength to live out my conviction, I decided on an easy way to remember where to keep my thoughts at:  Expect nothing, imagine nothing.  Expect nothing from a guy, and imagine nothing.  Simple.  Easier said than done!  I'm not the type of girl who is attracted to a bunch of guys, I know what I'm looking for and it's easy to spot the high quality, spiritual, mission-minded guys.  My attractions are mature!  It's not a compromise!  But I had to look at things from a different perspective.  What if it did work out?  What if I were to marry him?  Would I like him to know how I had talked about him to my girl friends before he had even indicated anything to me?  And what's more than that, what kind of example am I setting for my younger sisters in Christ?  It's not worth the fun of teasing around for the hurt it could cause.  Playing with peoples attractions, affections: it isn't worth the risk.  Is that really the true love Christ would have me to show to them?  And beyond that, as a Christian, I am called to a higher standard.  How will the world see anything different in me if I'm compromising here?

As I drove to the evangelistic series tonight I had time to reflect on my previous decision, and I had time to pray.  "Lord," I prayed, "I'm totally giving this to you, if you ever give him back to me I will count it as a gift from You."  A peace came over me.  I have to say God makes things easier for us when we are willing to surrender to Him!

The meeting was about Jesus - all about Jesus - and the plan of salvation. I've heard it before, but it resonated with me all over again!  As I thought of Christ's love for me and how much he gave up, the risk he took just to give me the chance to make a decision for Him; I was really convicted that Christ love should be all that satisfies me.  When the speaker brought out the point that salvation is a free gift - we can do nothing to earn it - my mind drew a parallel.  In the same way that I am unworthy of Christ's love, so I would be unworthy of a relationship, especially the guy I would be interested in.  It may sound silly, but honestly.  Think about it, what do you do to earn a relationship?  Don't you want to just love each other for who you are?  I couldn't help but think of my prayer earlier.

Truly, love and relationships are a gift, a gift from heaven.  As a young lady I can say it's easy at times to get caught up in wondering what I could do to impress, what he would like, how I could catch his eyes....I'll admit, I'm not above the temptation to impress!  But it's not worth the compromise.  The plans that God has for me - for you - are too much greater!  It's not worth trifling with, it's not worth joking about.  It's not worth the compromise!  It's the least I can do to not compromise, when Christ gave all for me!

May God help me to be true to my conviction!

No comments:

Post a Comment