Monday, June 30, 2014

Get Out! Reached by Reaching

This morning was a morning I was in need of affirmation.  After contemplating the beauties of Jesus in my devotions, I was praying He would give me something very special today, something that would really make me happy...and He did.

The first Bible study I had scheduled was with a lady and a  church member.  I started by going to the church member's house and going over the lesson with her, to decide which questions she would lead out in, and which ones I would lead out in.  We prayed, and then went to the lady's house.  The study was about salvation, and the lesson went really well.  As we were talking about Jesus, my friend from church said "you know one thing that I heard in a sermon that always stuck with me was that Jesus is giddy about us.  He really loves us!  He is a personal God."  As she spoke tears welled up in her eyes.  As we continued the study we came to 2 Corinthians 5:17 "If any man be in Christ he is a  new creature..."  At this point in the lesson I like to discuss things in our lives that God has made new for us, or areas in our lives where we need to be made new.   In this study though, I didn't have to ask the question!  The two dear ladies just started sharing what God has done and is doing in their lives!  It was so beautiful to see my new friend from church, who originally told me she was nervous about giving a Bible study, now connecting with and sharing Jesus with someone else!  I didn't have to talk very much!

One of my evening Bible studies cancelled, so I had time to go door-to-door doing surveys.  Before I got out of my car I prayed, "Father, I know it's your will that people study the Bible, I need more people to study with, so I ask in faith, believing that you will lead me to people on this street who will want to study the Bible.  Amen."

I met a lady who tells me she was going to attend a Prophecy seminar that the church had, but she didn't make it.  She said, "I enjoy that type of stuff, because I see that the end of the world is soon."  We had a wonderful conversation on how she sees that the end of the world is coming soon.  She was one of the people on the street who said I could come back and study the Bible with her.

At another door, I meet a dear lady who hasn't really turned to the Bible much.  When I ask what her prayer request are, she asks me to pray for her elderly mother and she opens up to me about the depression her mother has faced after watching two of her children pass away.  As we bow our heads for prayer, her husband comes to the door and says "Your mother is on the phone, she needs you."  "I'll be there in just a moment, we are praying", she replies.  I wrap my arms around  her and lift up her and her mother in prayer.  When we open our eyes, I see tears coming down her cheeks.  "It looks like you came at just the right time", she says.  I left that door overjoyed!

A few doors down I meet a lady who talks with me about how she can see that the end of the world is near.  After we pray together, she tells me "You are so precious!  Each of us is precious to Jesus!"

I share these stories, not because I am such a beautiful person, but because my Jesus is!!!!  This morning I was singing the song, "Jesus You're Beautiful to Me", because I wasn't feeling beautiful!  I was struggling with some doubts, fears, and problems I saw in  my own life, so I was seeking Jesus to fill my heart!  It finally hit me right before I left for Bible studies that at the root of what I was going through was simply Satan trying to get my eyes on myself, so he could get me down and hinder the work I am doing reaching out to others!  But the power of Jesus is greater than anything we face that holds us back!

For years I wanted to do more for Jesus, but often fear always held me back.  This summer I've got out of myself more than ever before.  At times it's felt weird praying with a stranger.  There are times I'm like, "Lord, I don't know what to pray for these people!"  Then there's the outside of the box ideas that I couldn't help but do, like giving a music CD to a cashier at a grocery store who I've seen a few times.  Last Friday, I was reminded that even little things can make a difference.  I did a little shopping, after the lady checked me out, I said "Thank you" and then added, "and God bless you!"  She thanked me and said "I needed that!"

As I see the needs of those around me, my world view has been expanded.  It has made me more grounded in the fact that my only hope is Heaven, because I see that the world has nothing to offer.  It can be easy to get stuck in a fake reality...in our bubble of Christianity, our church, our school, our career, our family...stuck in self, the business of life, so caught up that we don't get out.  And yet, when you get out and see the needs around you, it does something for you-it is where LIFE and JOY really exist!  It is what Jesus did when He was on this earth - he was out mingling with and reaching the people!  

It's always been God's plan for us to reach out to others.  It is an integral part of how we are saved!  Paul, when writing to Timothy, said it like this: "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee." (1 Timothy 4:16).  So get out!  Get out of yourself, get out of your bubble, and reach out and share Jesus with someone today!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you, Leah, and your work for our Lord. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete