Thursday, July 10, 2014

Honesty

Of the lessons God has been teaching me this summer, one of the biggest lessons is the importance of honesty.  I've always wanted to be an honest person.  But there has always been a fight in me....I want to be honest, I like to be honest, and yet, at the same time, I'm afraid to be honest. 

The first thing I have had to do is ask myself the question, "What has made it difficult for me to truly be honest with people?"  One of the biggest reasons is because I tend to care more about peoples feelings than I do about the truth or honesty I am sharing with them.  I don't want to tell someone something that they don't want to hear.  I don't want to take the risk of hurting someone's feelings!  I don't like conflict, and I'll do almost anything to avoid it!

Through many various experiences this summer, God has showed me that it is ok to be honest when we are in tune with Him.  In one instance, God was leading in another persons life, and they were open to the truth I was about to share with them.  They asked me a question, and it wasn't a big deal, I could share what the truth was in the Bible, and they accepted it right off.

Another time this summer I was talking to one of my friends, and I was a little afraid to tell them something, but I told them anyways.  To my amazement, they weren't upset at what I had just said!  My honesty didn't create a conflict.  They understood what I had said.  They understood, because God had been working in their lives.  I learned that God is the One ultimately in control.

Here are some things that I have been learning about honesty:

Honesty doesn't mean telling everything that's on your heart.  Honesty doesn't mean telling people all the truth you know.

We are not called to the share at the same level of honesty with everyone.  Not everyone is ready to hear the honest truth.  I am not in control of how the other person reacts to the honesty or truths I share.  I am only responsible to God to have integrity and to know that when I'm asked, I can answer in an honest humble way.

Honesty doesn't hurt relationships, honesty isn't what creates conflict.  Honesty gives God the opportunity to work in your life.  God wants us to be honest with him about our sinful condition.  God wants us to be honest with others.  Honesty doesn't hurt people when the Holy Spirit is working in their lives as well.

So whatever you are going through right now, don't be afraid be because the truth is that honesty isn't about you, it's about God.  It's about being who God wants you to be. It's about sharing the honest truth as it is in Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this =) Very good thoughts. It can be so hard to be honest sometimes but sometimes God wants to use our honesty to accomplish a special purpose.

    ReplyDelete