Saturday, September 1, 2012


Describing Our Heavenly Father

My sisters and I were going on a walk with my dad.  My teenage sister and I were dominating the conversation, while my patient dad was listening to us.  We got to talking about our friends and guys; in the conversation, the comment was made “You know so-and-so isn’t that good looking of a guy”.  My Dad who is very down to earth and practical was ready to give an insightful comment.  “You know”, he said, “Guys are not supposed to be good looking they are men-hardworking men.”  “Well I think that you are pretty handsome” we said and then my little 8 year old sister who had been quiet the whole time piped up “Yes daddy you are very handsome and pretty and good-looking and buff!”  At the last term she used my Dad and sister and I burst out laughing!  When my sister had come home on a break from academy months before it was the first time any of us in the family had heard the term buff!  She had explained what it meant and now my little sister was just thinking of every word that came to her mind to describe what a nice good looking daddy we had! 
As I thought about it, it made me wonder, what kind of influence do I have on others?  Are the words I say words that are worth repeating?  It was said of Jesus that never a man spoke as He spoke.  As a Christian, my words should bear record that I have been with Jesus.  Just as my little 8 year old sister used a word she had heard from her big sister to describe her father, people draw conclusions about our Heavenly Father from the words we say.  Am I using words that they could use to describe Jesus?  Do I speak and act like a child of my Heavenly Father? 
My little sister wanted to use every word that she could think of to describe our Daddy, in her mind he is infallible and he can do anything!  Even deeper yet…is my walk with Jesus like that?  Am I using all the language I can think of to describe what a wonderful Father God I serve?  I should be!  But even all the words that I can come up with cannot fully tell the story of what an awesome Father I have!  It reminds me of what John said when trying to describe the love of God-he couldn’t think of words to express it aright so he wrote “Behold! What manner of love the Father hath bestowed up on us that we should become the sons of God.” 1 John 3:1.  He asks us to look for ourselves to behold the love that God has for us-a love that is truly more than we could ever ask, think, or imagine on our own!  Is my life calling people to behold my precious Savior?  Am I using my words to share with others the love that God has shown to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment