Sunday, September 9, 2012


Little Things

“Little drops of water,
little grains of sand,
make the mighty ocean
and the beauteous land.”

The words of this familiar poem “Little Drops of Water”, by Julia Carney, floated through my mind as I was getting my little 8 year old sister ready for bed.  Little things…like chatting with my little sister while giving her a bath, like massaging lotion into each other’s feet and backs….

“And the little moments,
humble though they may be,
make the mighty ages
of eternity.”

Little things….Like a church members’ appreciative smile at me as I played violin in church….a hug from a dear grandmotherly lady at church…..

“Little deeds of kindness,
little words of love,
make our earth an Eden,
like the heaven above.”

Little things…like receiving an encouraging card in the mail…like receiving a text message or phone call from a close friend…

“So our little errors
lead the soul away,
from the paths of virtue
into sin to stray.”


            Little things that are so special to receive…little things that would only take a few minutes to give, reminds me of the Bible verse that says “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Little things….a choice to put self aside to help someone in need; a choice to not say the critical words that were on your tongue, a choice to give a helping hand instead of doing what I had planned….
Precious memories…little words…a friend who sticks up for me, a positive comment amid negative ones, an “I appreciate you” a “thank you”, a smile, a sympathizing tear, an “I love you”....It’s the little things in life that matter most….

 “Little seeds of mercy
sown by youthful hands,
grow to bless the nations
far in heathen lands.”


            Jesus cared about little things in life too….a hungry crowd of people who the disciples wanted to send away….the little children of who He said “Forbid them not”….a little man who was so short he had to climb a tree in order to see Him…a little girl who had died….you can see how the little things quickly become big things….it forces me to ask myself the question, what do I call a big thing?  What do I consider something of great importance?  Do I show care and love, affection and appreciation for those around me? Or am I too caught up in my own agenda to enjoy the simple things in life?  What I think matters most, the big things I seek for, or the positions I always dreamed of having….how does God really value them?  He values those who are faithful in the little things.

“Glory then for ever
be to God on high,
beautiful and loving,
to eternity.”

May God be glorified in my life as I put Him and others first by His grace, and do the little things that make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment