Sunday, September 8, 2013

It was a lazy Friday...virtually nothing to do but homework.  I had a lot of time to think and reflect (one of my favorite things to do).  As I thought of the events of the past weeks, and how God had lead me to Southern Adventist University, I realized "I have not been one bit homesick since I left my home!"  Not that I was expecting to be of course, but it was more than that, I had been filled with joy-not just happy but truly joyful-ever since I had started the SALT program (Soul-winning and Leadership Training).  I hadn't thought a lot about it until my room mate invited me to a girls Bible study Thursday night.  The young ladies were sharing how God had been with them in the tough things they had went through when the had first came to college, the tears, the loneliness.  It was then that I realized, "I have really been blessed!"  "Father", I prayed, "I don't want to be out of touch with those who are hurting, I remember what it was like being a freshmen two years ago when I first went to college, it was hard, I haven't always had this must joy, I know it is what you have given me.  You must be giving me this joy and security in you so I can reach out to others.  Please help me to be able to do that and help me to be able to weep with those who weep."  The day went on, but God didn't forget my prayer.....

I sat in prayer at a wonderful church members home, in a circle praying for the Holy Spirit, praying for the church.  It was a wonderful experience!  As we finished prayer time, the golden red sun was just setting over the hazy grey-blue mountain tops.  We gazed out the picture windows and as we all began to sing, "Day is Dying in the West".  I wanted to stay and continue to soak in the beauty of the moment but I had to leave and go to vespers at the University church.  The speaker was powerful.  He spoke on how the Holy Spirit will empower the youth to do a work for Him.  One thing that stood out in my mind that he said was that no one in the church is supposed to just be God has a plan for each of us.

Before the message began the congregation had broke up into groups and prayed together.  My prayer partner asked that we pray for the students, that each one would find their niche in campus ministries.  As I listened to the message my heart was moved for the youth.  I closed my eyes and started praying earnestly for the students and for my own heart that God would open me up to His leading and use me to reach others!

The message came to a close and I went out to the booths of campus ministry.  It was a rich evening!  There were only a few ministries I could honestly say wouldn't "fit me".  But the majority I had a lot of interest in.  I was thinking and brainstorming..."I know I can't do everything but maybe I could do a little of this and this and this..."

My heart was full as I walked back to my room in the girls dorm just a few minutes before 11 pm.  I despise going to bed late..."I will have to get up early the next morning to drive to church...but oh well, tonight was worth it"...such were my thoughts as I rounded the last bend of stairs and opened the door to the 3rd floor. As I opened the door I saw a young lady curled up on the sofa in the lobby with a cell phone in her hand sobbing her heart out!  The young lady in front of me walked on by but I couldn't...something compelled me, I couldn't pass her by...she's hurting...she needs a friend...she needs a hug...she needs a prayer....I sat down on the couch next to her and wrapped my arms around her.  She dropped her phone onto her lap and flung her arms around me and we held each other close.

Now what do you say what do you pray?  I had no idea what she was going through, I had never met her before...but the promises rang true in this instance:  "...the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us..." and, "Take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you."  Romans 8:26; Matthew 10:19-20.

First, you be just be honest to God and bring the case before Him.  And so that's what I did.  "Lord I don't know what my dear sister is going through but I just uplift her to you, I pray you will wrap your arms of comfort around her and may she feel your presence near her"....That's all I can remember of my prayer, but it didn't stop there....I would pause for a moment and then a Bible promise would come to my mind and I would pray that promise for her.  All I remember is that when I claimed the promises I did so with confidence, with boldness, and assurance. "I claim this for my sister here in the name of Jesus" I would say!  The sobs calmed down and I ended our time together.  "Thank you", she said "that is just what I needed."

I left partly awe stricken....you just have to be silent before the presence of God after something like that.  I can't describe it...all I can say is that is a beautiful thing to be used by God....To just be there for someone.  I then remembered my prayer from earlier that morning....God hears!

Next morning in Sabbath School again I was just basking in the moment,  thoroughly enjoying the Bible study, with a room full of peers.  Such a privilege after being in a church with very few peers for the past year!  Our study lead us to the verse in Matthew Thomas was doubting that Jesus has rose from the dead.  As we discussed the verse and contemplated it's meaning for us today it struck me, "I have been a Thomas!"  "I said the same thing...I am not going to stay at the University unless this and this and this......"  I realize now that all the walls I had put up for why I wasn't sure I was supposed to stay past one semester, were just the things that God was working out!  For example, I had really wanted to be a part of evangelism, I wanted to be at a place where I could grow spiritually,  where I could really reach out to other young people.  And already the Lord was opening many doors for just that!  Who am I to try to plan where I think is the best place for me to be at to grow spiritually?  How merciful God is to let us feel and see Him, even in our moments of doubt!

There's nothing like serving Jesus...there's just NOTHING LIKE IT!  How I wish I just had the power to convince everyone that there's just no better way to live your life than with the King of the Universe who is willing to make his humble abode in our hearts!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you saith the Lord thoughts of peace and not of evil to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Leah, I am thankful that God is living through you in an encouraging way. Enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete