Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Lesson on How to be Ready to Receive the Holy Spirit

Busy Friday afternoon, cleaning up the dorm room, - after a worship and picnic with Southern Connections.  Only an hour or so till vespers!  As I worked on cleaning, I couldn't help but think of how much higher my standards of neatness were than my suite mates.  No matter how clean I cleaned things, they wouldn't say anything about it, and the bathroom would still get messy again.  My room couldn't be the paramount of cleanliness, beauty and order as I can how tidy my room mate wants to be.  As I evaluated my train of thought I realized how much I was missing the point!  It was all about what I wanted, and how much better I was for cleaning.  My motives were all wrong.  Just a few hours before I had posted on face book "Ran to town this morning to do some errands, left my clothes in the dryer not expecting to be gone log.  Came back to my clothes folded!  Thank you to the person who will likely never read this!  I love thoughtful people!  I will have to remember to return the favor."  Now here I was with the opportunity, and instead I was having a begrudging spirit!

After finishing cleaning and changing my clothes for vespers I realized I was running late, I quickly checked my email to see where I was going (since I'd never been there or heard of it before.)  Needless to say, I spent fifteen minutes driving past it not seeing it because it was back in the woods.  Frustrated, I sent a text message to someone there to get directions....swallow my pride and admit it's nice to get directions from someone else sometimes!

"What a way to begin the Sabbath!"  I thought to myself!  "Struggling with a bad attitude, and then late to a vespers!"  As I thought about it hit me:  God was bringing out just the weaknesses in my character that I needed to submit to him to be right with Him, and draw closer!  First the holier than thou attitude/begrudging spirit, and secondly my tendency to not want to ask anyone else for help.  In Corinthians it talks about how God loves a cheerful giver, was I giving my time cheerfully when I was going above what the necessary standard of cleanliness was?  What was my motive anyway?  Just too look good?  God created us to live in communities, and learn from each other and help each other.  That's an easier concept for me to accept when I'm NOT on the receiving line.  Volunteer to help me and most of the time I'll bulk, tell me I need to ask for help, and I'll think "no I can handle it myself!"

The Sabbath School lesson this morning was about preparing to receive the latter rain of the Holy Spirit.  How beautiful of the Lord to reveal my weaknesses and my need of a Character transformation!  When I'm willing to open my heart to God he has great things in store for me!  "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall com e from the presence of the Lord;" Acts 3:18.  How I'm looking forward to and praying for that time of refreshing!  What a merciful God we serve!

So next time you feel like you're at the end of your rope, and circumstances bring out the worst in you, step back, take a breath, say a prayer, and ask the Lord what he wants you to learn through it.  Look at it as an opportunity to draw closer to Him and let Him prepare your heart for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment