Friday, May 15, 2015

The Gift of Life

I hadn't heard from her for a week or so. "No, I'm too busy for Bible study this week" she had told me the last time I heard from her.  For some reason, I couldn't get her off my mind, I had to go and visit her.  What was going on in her life I didn't know, but I had to push through to find out. 

I knocked at her door, she opened it wide, and let me inside.  We talked casually for a while, and then she told me what had really been going on.  Her cousin had just been killed, "He was only 21!" she exclaimed.  She followed me outside the door and told me the whole story, how he had been missing, where they found him, and that the murderer was his roommate (apparently they had been in a fight). 

I had come to another one of those moments as a Bible worker when really nothing you say matters.  I was at a loss of words.  In retrospect, the few comments I made really don't seem like they were "correct".  All I could do is point her to the source of comfort, and say how every such experience should make us long even more for Heaven.

As I drove away, I couldn't help but realize what a gift we have by just being alive!  He was too young to die!  He had his whole life ahead of him!  What if that had been one of my best friends who had just lost their life?  I'm his age and yet I'm alive....for a reason.  Life is fragile, yet how often do I take this gift for granted?  Am I spending every spare moment to speak a word of encouragement to someone who needs it?  In light of eternity are the things that I complain or stress or worry about really worth my time?  Am I showing love to those around me?  Do I value the people in my life?  Do I live life to the fullness?  When I wake up in the morning, is it with a smile on my face for another day to praise the Lord and let him lead me moment by moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment