Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Change

Change.  One thing in life that you can always count on, that is change.

The longer life goes on the more change I seem to notice.  Moves, graduations, etc., life is always changing!

The last few years have been a whirl wind of changes for me.  Almost two years ago my family moved to Minnesota, I say my family because I went to Ohio to canvass for the summer (This was after my first time away from home at college 2011 - a big change!).  When I came back "home" to Minnesota what a change!  They didn't have a house that was livable yet, and so we were living in the church!  The year found me teaching, my first "full time job"!  Summer I led canvassing in Minnesota and then fall 2013 found me at Southern.

Even here, at Southern, there's lots of changes.  Some of the friends I made last semester haven't stayed this semester, some are graduating this May or December.  I have a new roommate this semester.  I have made more new friends, I have new Professors, and new classes with different students.

Change.  It can be scary.  It can be exciting.  It can be hard, even close to heart-breaking at times.  It can also be a blessing, and can bring joy - change can be an adventure!

Starting off this semester was difficult for me, I was worried, not sure if I could stay and I started the semester feeling more self-conscious than last semester.  Change.  It isn't always easy, and knowing that it won't be long till things will change again doesn't help either.  But I am very thankful that I don't have to trust my feelings.  Thee more time I spend reaching out to others, counting blessings and claiming promises, the happier I am.  I am truly grateful for the changes in life, and I am even more grateful for the opportunity to stay at Southern (less change).

I am thankful that changes in life bring out weaknesses, that draw me closer to Jesus and give me the opportunity to lean on Him, so that my weaknesses can become strong through His strength!  What a blessing that change can be an opportunity to grow!

In a world of change I am thankful that I can count on a God who "is the same yesterday, today, and for ever"! (Hebrews 13:8) He will never change, He promises "I will never leave or forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5).

"Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day; Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away; Change and decay in all around I see; O Thou, who changest not, abide with me!"  
-Henry F. Lyte

No comments:

Post a Comment